Each and every Arizona Academic Decathlon competition needs approximately 200 volunteers to help make it a success. Training is provided on-site for all volunteer shifts, but you can also review the training material in advance. A meal is provided for most volunteer shifts.
- Essay Judges: Each student authors an essay based on an assigned prompt. Judges read and score the essays against a defined rubric. Essay judging occurs online in the two weeks leading up to the on-site competition.
- Interview Judges: A panel of three judges conducts a seven-minute professional interview with each student. Judges score students against a defined rubric.
- Speech Judges: Each student delivers a four-minute prepared speech and a two-minute impromptu speech to a panel of three judges. Judges score students against a defined rubric.
- Speech Timers: Timers keep official time for the students’ impromptu and prepared speeches.
- Test Proctors: Test proctors preside over a classroom of students taking a series of objective tests.
- Super Quiz Proctors: Proctors administer this exciting quiz-show-style event, which is open to the public.